Breast Pump Resources
Here are a few links about Breast Pumps.
- The New York Magazine: I Put Three of the New ‘Discreet’ Breast Pumps to the Test
- Breastfeeding (Suckling) vs Pumping: Pros and Cons (aimed towards new mothers, principles still apply)
- The Best Pumps for Every Kind of Mom (aimed towards mothers, principles still apply)
- Consumer Report's Breast Pump Buying Guide (Archive)
- Breast Pumps and Air Travel - Adult Nursing Concerns: Air Travel, Part II (Tips and Advice)
- Exclusive Pumping: Best Breast Pumps For Exclusive Pumpers
- Double Pumping is better than single pumping
- Using a TENs Unit to Induce Lactation
- Also consider eBay, Craigslist, and local garage sales for used pumps.
- Interesting fact: some women use breast pumps for pleasure.
Frequently Asked Questions
About Inducing Lactation
Where can I learn more about breast pumping?
Can I use a TENS Unit to help induce lactation? (warning:NSFW)
Are there health concerns from breastfeeding or letting someone drink my milk?
It's perfectly fine to try another person's breast milk if you know their health history. Breast milk is a body fluid and therefore it's possible to transmit pathogens. The next biggest concern is Mastitis (warning:NSFW) which can be lessened with Lecithin and a proper latch technique (warning:NSFW). The Piercings and Lactation page (warning:NSFW) addresses this concern as well.