Inducing Lactation Resources
The effects of Fenugreek, Fennel and Blessed Thistle actually delay how long it takes to start lactation... To induce lactation is increase prolactin which is suppressed by both Estrogen and Dopamine. Domperidone massively reduces Dopamine in the body which is the primary method it uses to induce lactation. As for temporarily lowering estrogen? Oatmeal is actually great at cleansing excess estrogen from the body. Once lactation starts and hits its main phase (basically as soon as the milk turns white) go ahead and start back on the supplement(s). It will probably be about a week or two after you start getting drops, and it will help increase your supply.
Excerpt from this Reddit thread.
See our Increasing Milk Supply page as well.
You can order Domperidone (a well known lactation-inducing drug) online without a prescription.
Here are some links for sites and blogs about how to induce:
- The Marmet Breast Massage Technique
- Relactation and Induced Lactation Resources
- Methods of Inducing and FAQ on Reddit
- A Guide for Couples' Lactation [an example protocol to follow]
- Questions and Answers with the Loving Milk Maid
- One Woman’s Journey from Natural Breast Enhancement into Lactation: Carolbrigid’s Story
- MilkMaidens Forums
- Parents.com - Birth Control while Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding and Diabetes
- Breastfeeding and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Frequently Asked Questions about Inducing
Can I induce lactation without a pregnancy?
What supplements should I use and when?
Are there health risks from breastfeeding?
The biggest risks are side effects from excessive use of Domperidone and Mastitis (warning:NSFW). The chances of having the latter can be lessened with Lecithin and proper latch techniques. The Piercings and Lactation page (warning:NSFW) addresses this concern as well.